Re: [htdig] Using a different program for digging

Subject: Re: [htdig] Using a different program for digging
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 18:55:44 PDT

At 5:07 PM -0500 9/6/00, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
>1) The database specs are changing quite substantially from 3.1.x to
>3.2.x, so by developing for 3.1.x you're hitching your cart to a dying
>horse. In 3.2.x, there is no longer a db.wordlist, htmerge is only for
>merging databases, and htdig will create the db.docdb, db.docs.index
>and db.words.db files itself.

Plus with 3.2.x if you really want to do it, you can use the new
ExternalTransport feature to hook htdig to outside programs. So for
example, you could use a Perl script to access the DB. Still, if
there's already a web interface, it seems silly not to use that.

>2) The results from searches in htsearch are supposed to be web pages,
>each with their own URL. I don't know how you'd end up interfacing
>htsearch to your database if it doesn't have a web interface of some sort.

Right. Each document must have a URL to be returned in a result.