Re: [htdig] url_part_aliases

Subject: Re: [htdig] url_part_aliases
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 10:15:18 PDT

According to Torsten Neuer:
> Url_part_aliases must have identical definitions in all configuration
> files to work properly. I assume in the scenario described, there are
> at least 2 definitions which differ in some way.
>
> As I understand it, url_part_aliases work by substituting a string
> portion within the URL with a corresponding numeric value. If now
> 2 databases get merged into a new one and both have different defi-
> nitions for url_part_aliases, this should cause a conflict.
>
> I think that putting an identical definition for url_part_aliases
> in all configuration files and reindexing/remerging will fix the
> problem.
>
> To ease configuration, the url_part_aliases for all configuration
> files should be put in a single separate file which then gets in-
> cluded into the different configuration files.

My understanding of url_part_aliases is that it does string substitutions
both ways, so the mapped values do not necessarily have to be numeric.
The author (I think it was Hans-Peter) merely suggested using values
like *1, *2, etc., to avoid conflicts with existing patterns in URLs,
which would then have to be encoded themselves using up more space.

As for maintaining the same values for url_part_aliases, I'd agree that
this is a good idea for all the htdig and htmerge operations, though I'm
not 100% certain the author intended for this to be necessary. However,
it is supposed to be valid to have different values used in htsearch.
That was the whole point of this attribute, as opposed to common_url_parts
which is strictly for space savings.

In Jim's case, it may help to use the same setting of url_part_aliases for
all runs of htdig and htmerge. I'd certainly recommend that. However,
in Stefan's case, I believe he's already doing that. My understanding is
he's doing one run of htdig -i, followed by one run of htmerge, and using
a different value for url_part_aliases only for htsearch, which is valid.
So, in Stefan's case, it appears to be a bug, and not a misconfiguration.
I'm just trying to rule out a platform-specific problem. In Jim's
case, it's not quite so clear what the source of the problem is, but
the symptoms are similar to what Stefan reported.