[htdig] Re: results.php

Subject: [htdig] Re: results.php
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 23:44:19 PDT

At 3:22 PM -0400 9/2/00, Arnold Kamis wrote:
>Thanks, I found it. My problem remains, though, that both Torsten's and
>Colin's code require a call to exec. My web account is hosted at
>Mindspring, who seem to have disabled exec, passthru, and system calls.
>They also have not upgraded htdig from 3.0.8b2.

A recent exchange with a Mindspring customer showed that they are
willing to upgradde to 3.1.5. I don't know why their default is
3.0.8b2. It is much more buggy and certainly includes at least one
security hole.

>1) Without calling exec/passthru/system, is there any way to capture the
>htsearch output so I can parse it myself?

I don't believe so.

>2) Would it help if I installed htdig 3.1.5 myself? I.e., does htdig
>3.1.5 provide wrapper functions that obviate the need for an
>exec/passthru/system call?

No, you'd still have to have the wrapper call htsearch in some way. I
don't know how you'd do that.

>3) Is there any way to simply redirect/pipe the output of htdig to a
>file?

I think you're referring to the htsearch output? Sure, you can do
that, but you'd still need to exec it, wouldn't you? Pipes are in
some sense special files at a fundamental level.