Re: [htdig] Including Pull-Down Menu Pages

Subject: Re: [htdig] Including Pull-Down Menu Pages
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 17:15:38 PDT

At 5:25 PM -0400 9/1/00, Douglas Kline wrote:
>Is there some way to get the so-accessed files to be indexed? We are running
>ht-Dig version 3.1.1. TIA.

First off, if you're at all concerned about stability or security, I
suggest upgrading to 3.1.5 ASAP.
<http://www.htdig.org/RELEASE.html>
<http://www.htdig.org/where.html>

>in a Web page which the search engine reaches (the top-level, actually). This
>line allows a pull-down menu of hyper-links with the contents of the file
>menu.html which you can then select. Pulling down the menu does not
>change the Web page; pulling it down and selecting a link does.

I'm assuming that you're doing this through either a form or
JavaScript. In either case, AFAIK no search engine can follow the
links. There is no way for the search engine to know that a
particular form is for navigation or for something else (i.e. you
won't want it indexing a shopping cart!).

If you'd like to point a spider towards particular URLs, I suggest
using the <LINK> tag in your header. (This could be an SSI include if
you want). See <http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/> for more details--it's a
standard HTML tag.

Cheers,