Re: [htdig] Installation help for newbee

Subject: Re: [htdig] Installation help for newbee
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 08:50:17 PDT

According to w.j.worthington@herts.ac.uk:
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Cobalt Raq systems are
> > Intel-based. Don't they have MIPS processors?
>
> The Raq2 was MIPS. Raq3 onward are Intel (and supposedly binary compatible
> with Redhat 6).
>
> Thanks for the advice. I don't think i have the experience to go about
> building stuff from source (and I'm not sure what compilers The Raq has
> anyway) so I will just have to work with htdig.conf directives.

OK, if your system is Intel based, then you shouldn't need to
recompile anyway. If the only issue to resolve is that the Raq doesn't
put its Apache DocumentRoot at /home/httpd/html, and ScriptAlias at
/home/httpd/cgi-bin, as Red Hat does, then it's a pretty simple matter
to reconfigure this after installing the RPM.

Just move, copy or link the /home/httpd/html/htdig directory to an
"htdig" directory under your server's document root, and move, copy or
link /home/httpd/cgi-bin/htsearch to the cgi-bin or other ScriptAlias'ed
directory on your server. If that's all you need to do, you won't even
need to tweak your /etc/htdig/htdig.conf file. If the ScriptAlias'ed
directory is not accessed by the URL path "/cgi-bin/", then you'll need
to change this in your initial search.html form.

If you want to start moving other directories around, you may need
to change your database_dir and common_dir settings in htdig.conf.
It gets a bit more involved if you want to put all the htdig images
in a directory other than "htdig" in your document root, because then
they'll need to be accessed using a differnt URL than "/htdig/" in all
your HTML files. In this case, you'd need to change all references to
/htdig in your htdig.conf (attributes next_page_text and following), in
your search.html, and in your common/*.html files to whichever URL path
you choose, or set up an Alias for /htdig in your Apache configuration.

As long as you don't mind keeping your config file(s) in /etc/htdig,
then you don't need to worry about compiled-in defaults that can't easily
be overridden.