Re: [htdig] Mirror Sites and Rsync

Subject: Re: [htdig] Mirror Sites and Rsync
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 06:49:22 PDT

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, J. op den Brouw wrote:

> I thought that rsync didn't use much bandwidth? AFAIK, rsync (as CVS no
> doubt) only copies updated pages, and only that part that is updated
> (I mean, not the whole file).

I may be wrong, but I don't believe rsync actually copies diffs. I think
it copies the whole changed file. I also believe there's less chatter. But
the whole point is a bit moot if the IT people only want to allow one. ;-)

> BTW: it would be a nice discussion on how to set up mirrors world wide
> for ht://dig. Eventually, we do it to relief the main ht://dig site....

Yes, I'll set up a "mirroring" page with the instructions I just sent.

> I will write a howto on how-to (!) mirror de FTP site using mirror 2.9.
> I use it now in a testing period and ony on sunday's, as a new snapshot
> comes out, it will pull in files...

Actually, I use wget here, but it's probably the same. In the case of the
FTP site (which is the same as /files on the website), almost everything
is binary, so it doesn't matter much how you update.