Re: [htdig] Mirror Sites and Rsync

Subject: Re: [htdig] Mirror Sites and Rsync
From: J. op den Brouw (MSQL_User@st.hhs.nl)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 00:55:06 PDT

I thought that rsync didn't use much bandwidth? AFAIK, rsync (as CVS no
doubt) only copies updated pages, and only that part that is updated
(I mean, not the whole file).

Fill me in if I'm wrong.

BTW: it would be a nice discussion on how to set up mirrors world wide
for ht://dig. Eventually, we do it to relief the main ht://dig site....

I will write a howto on how-to (!) mirror de FTP site using mirror 2.9.
I use it now in a testing period and ony on sunday's, as a new snapshot
comes out, it will pull in files...

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Brad Handy wrote:
>
> > Is rsync set up on the ht://Dig server yet? If it is then I must have
> > missed the announcements.
>
> Nope.
>
> Here's the problem--the bandwidth for the htdig.org servers is provided by
> Andrew's company, Evoke Communication. While they're nice enough to host a
> large amount of bandwidth for the site, rsync is a much bigger hog than
> CVS. So they don't want to host rsync there.
>
> I'm looking at possibilities for rsync hosts, but haven't turned up any
> good possibilities. SourceForge, unfortunately, also does not allow it.
>
> --
> -Geoff Hutchison
> Williams Students Online
> http://wso.williams.edu/

--jesse
Haagse Hogeschool 2521 EN DEN HAAG
Faculty of Engeneering Netherlands
Electrical Engeneering +31 70 4458936

Linux - because reboots are for hardware changes