Re: [htdig] Installation help for newbee

Subject: Re: [htdig] Installation help for newbee
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 11:58:51 PDT

According to w.j.worthington@herts.ac.uk:
> I have just installed the binary 'htdig-3.1.5-0glibc2.i386.rpm' on a Cobalt
> Raq3 (Redhat Linux 6)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Cobalt Raq systems are
Intel-based. Don't they have MIPS processors? If your system doesn't
have an Intel x86 or compatible processor, you can't run i386 binary RPMs,
and you'll need to rebuild from the source. See also the FAQ:
http://www.htdig.org/FAQ.html#q5.14

> The installation and configuration documentation is UNIX oriented and I am
> confused as to what to do next.
>
> The file /usr/doc/htdig-3.1.5/CONFIG shows what I presume to be the default
> configuration for this binary installion.

That's correct. It's there, purely as documentation, to show how the
binary was built in the RPM. Changing this file will have no effect,
as it's a compile-time configuration, and not a run-time one.

> I need to modify the cgi and html directories (and then move the appropriate
> files to public web space). (I don't really want to hack the apache .conf,
> which gets written by the Raq's visual interface) Is there any way I can
> change the defaults using the htdig.conf? Or can I edit
> /usr/doc/htdig-3.1.5/CONFIG and expect it to work.

The CONFIG file is for pre-compiliation configuration, and must be
changed in your main source directory for htdig before you run "make".
Just about all defaults can be changed at run-time in the htdig.conf,
except of course the name of the default configuration file itself, and
for htsearch, the default configuration directory as well. You may also
need to change path names in your HTML files as well, such as search.html
and common/*.html, to reflect the correct URLs for your system.

That may be a non-issue if you end up building from the source tar.gz file
instead, because then you can cofigure it as you wish before compiling.
But if you simply do an "rpm --rebuild" of the source RPM, you'll need
to change the paths after the fact.