Re: [htdig] Sleepy Cat

Subject: Re: [htdig] Sleepy Cat
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 11:50:13 PDT

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Tod Thomas wrote:

> Are there any code examples that anyone can point me to that use the
> BerkeleyDb backend contents generated by htdig to create custom reports,
> queries and the like ?

You can see the example scripts in the contrib/ directory of your
distribution though many of them are already broken. There are also
scripts in <http://www.htdig.org/contrib/> which includes the
HtDig::Database module that works with 3.1.x releases.

> Documentation on how htdig stores data in the Db would be nice too.

Truthfully, this information is hard to come by likely to change
substantially. For example, adding attributes like url_part_aliases and
compression have made it hard to access the data outside the code itself.
Plus, we changed database format substantially in the 3.2 code because it
was absolutely needed. Parts may also change in the future.

However, the htdump/htload utilities in the 3.2 code do use a set format
(and it's even documented). We've made the format so that it should be
backwards-compatible even if the actual database internals change. This
allows for easier parsing and upgradability.

For more info, see the 3.2 beta docs:
<http://dev.htdig.org/htdig-3.2/>
<http://dev.htdig.org/htdig-3.2/htdump.html>