[htdig] Re: [htdig3-dev] htdig 3.1.5 indexing

Subject: [htdig] Re: [htdig3-dev] htdig 3.1.5 indexing
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 09:31:13 PDT

According to ds@adq.de:
> Acording to Geoff Hutchison:
> > On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
> > > If you can coax your web server into inserting a tag like the following
> > > into the head section of the pages it generates for indexes, that would
> > > be the solution.

> hmm, I fear I don't understand this correctly. Where do I have to put this? I
> don't have an "index.html" in this directory. Should I create an empty one,
> and insert the tag listed above? Will htdig look in the other pages of this
> directory, even if they are not listed in index.html?

No, if you create an index.html, you must manually add links in it
to all the documents in the directory that you want htdig to see.
What Geoff was suggesting is using Apache's automatic index generation
feature, but customising it with your own header file. I don't know how
better to explain it myself, as I've never tried it myself, so I'll just
repeat what he said and suggest you look at the Apache documentation he
references for more information about how to implement this...

> > If you're using Apache, you can use HeaderName and
> > IndexOptions (in particular SupressHTMLPreamble) to insert anything you
> > want into the headers:
> > <http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_autoindex.html#headername>
> > <http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_autoindex.html#indexoptions>
> >
> > You'd still need to make some sort of header file with the appropriate
> > headers.

I suspect you'd need to add these configuration directives in a .htaccess
file in each directory in which you need to make this change, in addition
to the header file you define and reference in your HeaderName directive.