Re: [htdig] Newlines in config (was Cannot get htdig to see title_factor?)

Subject: Re: [htdig] Newlines in config (was Cannot get htdig to see title_factor?)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 06:47:27 PDT

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Geoff Hutchison wrote:
>On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
>> > that this is a bit different from the previous user (since I am using a
>> > variable), should I simply have wrapped the ${common_dir}/header/arts.html
>> > in single quotes?
>> If you're using a Mac-based text editor, you're asking for trouble,
>> as the Mac uses a different text file format.
>Hey! That's not true--most good Mac text editors can save with UNIX
>linebreaks. Furthermore, actual PC text editors usually save with yet
>another style of linebreaks.

 Correct. When I use my MacOS G4, I only use BBEdit as a text editor,
which allows me to save with UNIX linebreaks (and I have set it as a
default). Most of the time though, I use my G4 running Linux (it is *far*
more stable, mostly due to the fact that the dual processor machine is not
stable under the current MacOS), and the text editor I use is vi.

>But it really shouldn't matter. The code splits on all sorts of line
>breaks, so I can't see how this would change anything. Still, I think
>Gilles is right--there was probably something wrong with the config file
>before you added the newline.

 I had tried a number of things on only one of the 80 odd conf files
before I guessed it was a line break problem. Once I applied it to all the
other conf files they all started working properly.

>If you take out the newline now, does it break? (This is always a
>troubleshooting trick.)

 Ya'know, this is the crazy part... I tried to reproduce the problem after
Gilles' response, and now I can't!! I haven't changed the file in any way
other than remove the extra linebreak (again with vi), and it doesn't
break! This is very strange, I'm really at a loss here.

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada