Re: [htdig] Newlines in config (was Cannot get htdig to see title_factor?)

Subject: Re: [htdig] Newlines in config (was Cannot get htdig to see title_factor?)
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 06:34:36 PDT

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Gilles Detillieux wrote:

> > that this is a bit different from the previous user (since I am using a
> > variable), should I simply have wrapped the ${common_dir}/header/arts.html
> > in single quotes?
>
> If you're using a Mac-based text editor, you're asking for trouble,
> as the Mac uses a different text file format.

Hey! That's not true--most good Mac text editors can save with UNIX
linebreaks. Furthermore, actual PC text editors usually save with yet
another style of linebreaks.

But it really shouldn't matter. The code splits on all sorts of line
breaks, so I can't see how this would change anything. Still, I think
Gilles is right--there was probably something wrong with the config file
before you added the newline.

If you take out the newline now, does it break?
(This is always a troubleshooting trick.)