Re: [htdig] how to start htdig

Subject: Re: [htdig] how to start htdig
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 14:49:57 PDT

According to Florez, Nestor:
> Then I ran the search.html file via my netscape browser and I got a window
> displaying the following error:"Netscape unabvle to find the file or
> directory named '/cgi-bin/htsearch'"
>
> I do know that this file is in the cgi-bin directory. and the directory is
> set to a permission of 775.
>
> Any ideas? Now remember I am new at this. do I have to do something
> special to the /opt/www/cgi-bin directory for it to be able to run? Could
> this be the problem?

First of all, you should run htsearch from the command line, to make sure
it and your databases are OK, and to rule out web server configuration
problems (which I think is what you need to deal with).

Chances are, your /opt/www/cgi-bin directory is not set up as a ScriptAlias
in your web server configuration. You must either do that, or set up
htsearch in a directory that is set up thus. Generally, on Red Hat systems,
CGI programs go in /home/httpd/cgi-bin/.