Re: [htdig] Cannot get htdig to see title_factor?

Subject: Re: [htdig] Cannot get htdig to see title_factor?
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 14:18:22 PDT

According to christopher.murtagh@wcg.mcgill.ca:
> On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Adam Lewenberg wrote:
> >I am running snapshot ht://Dig 3.2.0b3-081300 on a Linux RedHat 6.2
> >system. I have set title_factor to 50000 in htdig.conf. However, after
> >re-digging and doing a search, it looks as if the TITLE is being
> >ignored.
>
> In your config file, try putting a blank line in between the title factor
> and keywords factor lines. So that:
>
> title_factor: 50000
> keywords_factor: 50000
>
> would become:
>
> title_factor: 50000
>
> keywords_factor: 50000
>
> I bet this will do the trick.

Yikes, I certainly hope that will not make any difference at all! If it
does, we have some serious bugs to track down in the new config file parser.

Re-digging after changing scoring factors is not necessary in 3.2, as the
scores are calculated at search time only. I suspect that the low score
values are because htsearch now uses a log of the actual calculated score,
to reduce the previously too-large skew between best and so-so matches.
What matters most is the relative positions of matches. Is the problem
that the documents with the search words in the title field are scoring
lower than documents with the search words elsewhere in the text? If so,
that is indeed a problem. However, in your e-mail, Adam, you only mentioned
the score of the one document. It's hard to say if that's a problem.