Re: [htdig] SSL site index

Subject: Re: [htdig] SSL site index
From: Geoff Hutchison (
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 07:00:25 PDT

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Walls Rob W MSgt 75 CS/SCX wrote:

> I have found htdig to be the fastest and most configurable indexer around.

Thanks for your compliments!

> Can htdig index a secure site?

Alas, part of the problem is the US restrictions on encryption software
and the RSA patent. My legal understanding is hazy, but since *I* reside
in the US and so does the server, I'm not going to think about
SSL until after the RSA patent expires.

> One answer to this question from Browny said that htdig would now index
> https sites in version 3.1.4. I have 3.1.4. and htdig won't talk SSL.
> Would recompiling htdig with the openssl libs fix this?
> So, does htdig do SSL and if so how?
> I would really hate to have to quit using the world's best indexer!

I believe there are patches to 3.1.4 to use OpenSSL at