Re: [htdig] database too big?

Subject: Re: [htdig] database too big?
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 12:55:02 PDT

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Dattl Juergen wrote:

> AIK the max. file size on a reiserfs or an ext2 filesystem is 2GB.

Not quite right. The max file size on many varieties of Linux is 2GB. I
don't believe it's a limitation in the FS themselves. I believe there are
a few kernel patches out there for >2GB files, or you can try different
OSes (e.g. FreeBSD, Solaris, etc.). I also believe AlphaLinux (being pure
64-bit) is free of such a limitation.

Also worth pointing out is that it has nothing to do with the database.
Various SQL implementations on Linux run into this and on the other hand,
Berkeley DB can be as large as 2+TB.

> What happens, when the files gets too big

Haven't the faintest. My guess is the OS will pretend to write to the
file, but fail silently. Others may know from experience.