Re: [htdig] htdig's -a option

Subject: Re: [htdig] htdig's -a option
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 09:18:29 PDT

According to twallace@neo.lucidgreen.com:
> As I understand it, the -a option on htdig is supposed to make it use
> working copies of the databases so that people can still be searching
> while htdig is indexing.
>
> Am I understanding this right?
>
> Do I have to add this option to other parts of rundig to make everything
> work correctly?

That's correct. You don't need to change the rundig script that comes
with the package to use -a. Just give rundig the -a option, and it will
be passed to htdig and htmerge, then rundig will move the work files into
place to replace the old database when it's done. If you want rundig
to use -a by default, just add it to the "alt" variable before the "for"
loop that scans the options. All this will work as long as you want to
reindex everything from scratch each time you run rundig.

If you want to update an existing database, but use a work copy while
updating, you may need to develop your own script, or use the example
in contrib/examples/rundig.sh as a starting point (it'll need slight
changes to reflect the current database file names).