Re: [htdig] possible suggestion

Subject: Re: [htdig] possible suggestion
From: Geoff Hutchison (
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 13:54:27 PDT

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Ted Stresen-Reuter wrote:

> In other words, if the search term is found in the <title>, <meta
> name="keywords">, or <meta name="description">, or possibly even inside an
> <Hn> tag, then the description for the page is shown. Otherwise, the excerpt
> from the page is shown.

A quick note that the header tags are included in the stored excerpt. The
only distinction is made between directly user-visible text and META
information (including the title). The former is stored as the excerpt.

> Can anyone thing of a way to make this happen now?

In the 3.1.x code there's no information stored about the context of the
word. So there's no way to differentiate between a word occuring in a META
tag or in the page itself, for example.

> PS: Do I have to re-index my site every time I change my config file or is
> the config file read by htsearch?

If a config attribute is marked in the documentation as applying to
htsearch only, then you do not need to rebuild the databases. See
<> and