[htdig] Prefix search

Subject: [htdig] Prefix search
From: Reich, Stefan (Stefan.Reich@dgn-service.de)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 09:40:49 PDT

Hi all,

here is a short question about prefix matching and performance.

In my database I have stored many dates in the format YYYY-MM-DD.
When I do a prefix match search for "199*", I get a very long list of dates
in my $LOGICAL_WORDS.

(1999-01-01 or 1999-01-02 or 1999-01-03 or 1999-01-04 or ... 200 more
entries ...)

Is htdig building this list before searching or during search? Whats about
the performance of this approach. (doesn't look to bad!)

The reason I'm asking is: I want to do a "range search". Is it a good idea
to do it the same way, by pre-building such a list using the db.wordlist.
I thought this may be a performance problem but if htdig is using this kind
of monster search string anyway, it can't get worse.

Do I miss something?

Tnx

  Stefan