Re: [htdig] Servlets instead of CGI-BIN for htdig

Subject: Re: [htdig] Servlets instead of CGI-BIN for htdig
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 09:22:48 PDT

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Srini Sathya. wrote:

> I have written some wrapper class in java servlets for htdig. Will it be
> any potential performance hazard or anything for that matter if i use java
> servlets instead of cgi-bin or php. Is htdig has been designed to work
> exclusively for cgi-bin.

The htdig program (the indexer) doesn't do anything with searching.
Technically you could just index with htdig and let the data sit. The
htsearch CGI is quite effective for most people, but some people use PHP
or Perl or shell-script wrappers. There's no reason you can't use Java
servlets--several people have already done so:
<http://www.htdig.org/files/contrib/wrappers/>