Re: [htdig] dig problems (still)

Subject: Re: [htdig] dig problems (still)
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 08:32:59 PDT

According to Stephen L Arnold:
> Gilles Detillieux [mailto:grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca] wrote:
> > Do you get the error when you rebuild the database from
> > scratch (htdig -i)?
> > If not, that's your solution, at least as long as it doesn't
> > happen again.
> > If it happens consistently with htdig -i, then please try to
> > pare it down
> > to a small test case that still fails consistently. If we
> > can reproduce
> > the problem ourselves, then we'll finally get a step closer
> > to fixing it.
>
> Yes, I get the error with 'htdig -i' even after I rebuilt the binaries
> from pristine source (and no mods to the configure.in by me). Could it
> be something in the documents themselves? This didn't happen last
> time, just since I added some new documents to the archive and went
> to rebuild the database.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated; if I can't get it to work consistently,
> then I can't deploy it where other folks can use it :(

Well, if adding some new documents caused the problem to pop up, and
it's failing consistently, you ought to try to isolate which of these
new documents is causing the failure. If you can isolate one or a few
documents that cause the error to happen, we can try to reproduce the
error on other systems. On the other hand, it may be that it's not just
one or two documents, but the whole set you have now, which brings out
this error, in which case it'll be much harder to track down.