Re: [htdig] update database

Subject: Re: [htdig] update database
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 12:04:50 PDT

According to Nina Crowley:
> I have added many pages to my site and am trying to have rundig access new
> pages, but it isn't seeing them. I have increased max_head_length: 50000
> max_hop_count: 10
> I don't know a lot about this sort of thing but, I do keep seeing notes
> about updating the database and the -i flag. What is the default for the
> -i flag? What does the line look like to change the setting? If anyone has
> any other ideas on how I can get rundig to see the new pages I would be
> forever greatful.

Did you make links from existing pages to these new pages? htdig only
follows HTML links, so it won't see JavaScript links, and it won't go
hunting through your directories to find unlinked documents (unless you
link to those directories and your server automatically generates indexes
for them).

The notes about rebuilding the database using htdig -i apply to cases of
apparent database corruption. We haven't ruled that out in your case, but
it's a long-shot at this point. If you updated existing pages to link to
the new ones, htdig should re-index those existing pages, and find the new
links.

The default for the -i flag is not to initialise. That means if there's
an existing database, htdig without the -i will update that database rather
than reindexing everything from scratch.