[htdig] Re: that is right htsearch does not stand the CGI standart

Subject: [htdig] Re: that is right htsearch does not stand the CGI standart
From: Roman Gavirilov (romio@linuxqa.com)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 01:21:35 PDT

Please accept my apology,
The problem was in Server configuration.
This script is written in C so from server side cgi-handler should take care of it
and not perl-handler
which is by default the main cgi handler in most web servers.

To all who facing this problem,
Internal Server Error or Unrecognized character \177 at
/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/htsearch line 1.
, in the browser and from shell it work correctly.
Those are the steps i did:
I created another directory in web root and in httpd.conf (for httpd.conf it is
the same as for cgi-bin,
but i changed perl-handler to cgi-handler)
and it working fine.

Those error are because web server trying to execute this script with perl-handler
instead of cgi-handler.

Gilles Detillieux wrote:

> Please don't e-mail me directly with htdig questions. They should go to
> the htdig@htdig.org mailing list.
>
> According to Roman Gavirilov:
> > I installed htdig and having the same problem.
> > and of course my web server ("Apache_1.3.12") running well.
> > The problem is in htsearch that the first STDOUT is not HTML header.
> > I don't know whether it should first take header from some where or not
> > and because of the fact that it is fails
> > to find it, it prompts with search string. But on my box from the shell
> > it works correctly however from
> > web it is not.
> >
> > So excuse me but Server configuration problems it is nonsense i running
> > CGI and mod_perl and what ever i need very well.
>
> htsearch does output the headers required by the CGI standard, so if
> you're getting server errors, you should check the server error logs to
> see what the problem is. Unless your server is expecting non-parsed
> headers, which shouldn't be the case with Apache, the only required
> HTTP header is "Content-Type: text/html", which htsearch will output
> before any HTML code, unless something is causing it to crash before
> it gets to that point.
>
> Also have a look at the following FAQ entries:
>
> http://www.htdig.org/FAQ.html#q3.6
> http://www.htdig.org/FAQ.html#q5.7
> http://www.htdig.org/FAQ.html#q5.13
> http://www.htdig.org/FAQ.html#q5.14
> http://www.htdig.org/FAQ.html#q5.19
>
> --
> Spinal Cord Research Centre WWW: http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/~grdetil

| Roman Gavrilov                           |
| Aduva inc, Web Development Services.     |
| work 03-7534324   mobile 053-834669      |
| romio@linuxqa.com,romio@netvision.net.il |