Re: [htdig] Reasons for selecting a page.

Subject: Re: [htdig] Reasons for selecting a page.
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 07:35:12 PDT

According to Fergus Toolan:
> I'm using htdig as part of a recommender system
> to recommend web-pages on a certain web-site.
> We've implemented a package which uses Java,
> javascript and HTML to do this. During its execution
> it calls htsearch to find related pages.
> We wondered if it is possible to extract the reasons
> that htdig returned its results.
> For example, can we get a response saying something
> like
> "Htdig selected this URL because it contained the words
> <word list> which were also contained in the query."
> This isn't essential but we would be interested in something
> like this for research purposes.

I don't think there's any way right now to do this, other than by
customising the source code. There isn't a template variable that tells
you, on a document by document basis, which search words matched that
document. The best you could do right now is just show the whole query
string, either as $(WORDS) which is as entered in the input parameter
"words", or as $(LOGICAL_WORDS) which is the expanded query.