Re: [htdig] No matches were found for....

Subject: Re: [htdig] No matches were found for....
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 07:06:02 PDT

According to Rob Goodwin:
> After running ./rundig -c ../conf/htdig.conf all night i awoke to find a
> 200MB database file that was still growing... i stopped rundig and then ran
> htmerge which seemed to do what it was supposed to. I ran it on
> http://www.myfonts.com.
>
> the only thing is now when i use htsearch it says that it doesn't find any
> matches on any of the words i try... even "font" which does appear in many
> documents. it seems to me also that a 200MB index file is a little
> excessive in this case...
>
> what could i be doing wrong here? why doesn't it match any documents?

You can't abort a run of htdig and expect to get a usable database from
it, unless you run htdig with the -l option.

Whether 200 MB is excessive or not depends on how much you're indexing.
In the 3.1.x series, it's not unusual for the whole collection of database
files to take up 2-3 times the space of your document collection, depending
on configuration attribute settings, word frequencies, and so on.