Re: [htdig] is there a problem with the documentation?

Subject: Re: [htdig] is there a problem with the documentation?
From: David Adams (D.J.Adams@soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 02:29:27 PDT

I think that the Ht://Dig documentation is very high quality, and it is a pity
that so many users appear to email this list before looking at it. There are
omissions though.

I havn't seen a well documented list of all the $(WHAT) variables that can be
used in wrapper.html, etc. What are they all, and what variations are
acceptable, ${WHAT}, $WHAT, $(what), etc.? They also need to be distinguished
from the variables used in config files which are entirely different (arn't
they ?) - I once put a variable in a configuration file in upper case and it
took me a long time to work out why htdig (3.1.2)was looping!

The diagnostic information output by htdig and htmerge is not too fully
described. Numerous times people have asked for the meaning of the +---*-
lines produced by htdig -v, but I don't think that is in the documentation.
Nor are the meanings of the "Deleted, noindex:", etc. messages from htmerge.

--
David Adams
<D.J.Adams@soton.ac.uk>