Re: [htdig] HELP ! DB Corrupted ?

Subject: Re: [htdig] HELP ! DB Corrupted ?
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 20:31:23 PDT

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Franck Horlaville wrote:

> I think there was a problem during the dig where dig was stopped and
> merge was run before all the pages where effectively indexed ...
>
> What can i do ? Is there a DB repair somewhere, can a dig clean up
> the mess or do i have to redig starting from -initial ?

Unless you are using the -l flag, it is not a good idea to stop a dig in
the middle. So you're probably right that this might cause problems with
your DB.

There's no easy way of "repairing" your DB--just like it would be hard to
resurrect a crashed drive. By far the easiest way to do it is to rebuild
from scratch. (This is one good reason for keeping around at least the DB
from yesterday so if something bad happens, you can go back.)