Re: [htdig] local filesystem...

Subject: Re: [htdig] local filesystem...
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 13:32:19 PDT

According to Tim Perdue:
> I'm trying to index about 100,000 hypermail files on a local hard disk
> and have them indexed with ht://dig. The problem is, ht://dig is digging
> using the web URLs instead of digging the local filesystem.
>
> All of my files end in .php and I see that is not a supported file
> extension by default.
>
> The files, even though they end in .php, should be treated as if they
> are regular .html files and I want them all read from the filesystem NOT
> the website.

The file name extensions that htdig allows for indexing by local_urls is
hard-coded in htdig/Document.cc, so it's not settable by any configuration
attribute. Your only option at this point is to edit the source and
rebuild. The plan is to eventually add mime types support to that code,
so that it can determine the content type of any file. Until someone
implements that, we've stayed with commonly indexed, static file types.

Files with .php usually include dynamic content, and so must be parsed
by the server. If you don't care about indexing the dynamic content,
that's your prerogative, but we can't as a design decision make htdig
index .php, .asp, .cfm or .shtml files directly by default, as that is
most often NOT what users would want.