Re: [htdig] Dublin Core Metadata

Subject: Re: [htdig] Dublin Core Metadata
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 11:34:40 PDT

According to Greg Lepore:
> I've been exploring the keywords_meta_tag_names attribute and while I was
> able to get it to work with a basic meta tag, I was not able to get it to
> work with Dublin Core Metadata. The format of the metadata is:

> History Sources" />
> of the General Assembly of Maryland from January 1637/8
> through September 1664." />
>
> htdig.conf has this:
> keywords_meta_tag_names: DC.Creator DC.Subject Dc.Description DC.Publisher
> DC.Type DC.Format DC.Identifier DC.Language DC.Coverage DC.Rights
> DC.Date.X-MetaDataLastModified Keywords
>
> Searches for words appearing only in the metadata return nothing.

I don't know why this isn't working. Support for meta tags has been in
since the 3.1.x betas, so unless you're running an old 3.0.x release, it
should work. I assume your keywords_meta_tag_names definition above is
all on one line, right?

> I was thinking perhaps the period in the tag name was throwing things
> off? Maybe the scheme information as well.

No, the period and any additional HTML tag parameters should not pose
a problem. I suggest you run htdig -vvvv on a small test case of a few
documents to see what htdig does with the words in these meta tags.

> This is a feature that would be very helpful to have searchable meta
> info. It is possible to have metadata describe a range of dates and to be
> able to search between the dates would be a great way of limiting a
> search. We have over 150,000 pages of historical material covering almost
> 400 years. If the user could narrow a search down to say, a five year
> period...
> I realize this won't happen in the next release but I would like to see
> Dublin Core, or XML, support in the future. Thanks,

There are plans for the 3.2.0 final release to include limiting searches
to a range of dates, but the dates would be based on the modification date
of the document, or a <meta name="date" ...> tag which simply overrides
the last-modified date (if use_doc_date is set). There are no plans
to support tags that assign a range of dates to an individual document.
You're the first person to request this particular twist to an otherwise
frequent request. How would you use meta data to describe a range of
dates in a document?