Re: [htdig] Database Update

Subject: Re: [htdig] Database Update
From: David Adams (D.J.Adams@soton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 02:25:39 PDT

On Mon, 07 Aug 2000 10:25:39 -0500 Chad Phillips <gphillip@aafp.org>
wrote:

> I tried the -a option but still no luck. It uses alternate files,
so I can still use the search engine while htdig is indexing.
But when htdig/htmerge is finished, my old database is wiped out so
I loose all the data from prior searches.

> I'm sure I am missing some option somewhere. Do most people re-index from scratch?

I'm having trouble understanding your question. What is this "data
from prior searches" that is being lost? Why do you want both to
update your database and keep it unchanged?

I re-build our major index from scratch once a week and update it
daily. A second index is simply re-built once a week. It all works
very smoothly.