[htdig] How to log chrooted and not lose the normal syslog messages?

Subject: [htdig] How to log chrooted and not lose the normal syslog messages?
From: Terry Witherspoon (withers_t@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 15:38:49 PDT

Hi,

I'm running htdig 3.1.5 chrooted on FreeBSD 4.0 with
Apache 1.3.12. I'm trying to turn on logging of search
terms. I'd like a method of grabbing the normal syslog
messages outside the chroot cell AND logging the search
queries in the chroot. I can syslogd to run in both
environments only in debug mode. With syslogd running
chrooted logging works well via the normal syslog
facility and level. Also my apache logs contain the
search terms. When the syslogd is running non-chrooted
the search terms are no longer in the apache logs or
syslogd directed file. It looks as if the -l flag to
syslogd may somehow be able to handle logging in the
chroot but I cannot figure it out. Thanks for any
advice, tw