[htdig] Problem digging & returing results when url_part_alises is used

Subject: [htdig] Problem digging & returing results when url_part_alises is used
From: William Sandman III (wsandman@tool.net)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 13:08:09 PDT

Greetings,

I am having problems getting search results whne using url_part_alises.

The web site I am digging has many sections that are secured by prepending
authentication code that, if not fulfilled, redirects the user to log-in.
To facilitate searching the entire site (secured and otherwise) a second virtual
has been setup with no authentication, that cannot be reached from outside
our domain.

Using url_part_alises was working properly until we changed the URL on the
site. Now that the new URL is in place, the dig function fails to dig the site
while replacing the URL found with the token so that the token can be replaced
later on.

from dig.conf:
url_part_aliases: http://ww.test.elementkjournals.com *site

When I dig the site using the replacement above the file db.docs.index is not
generated properly. If I "string" the file on our previous setup I find *site
throught the file and tenfile suize is ~450K. Using the url_part_aliases above, the
file is ~2K and have no references to any URLs. If I remove the url_part_alises
definition, the file is again ~450K and "strings" returns a file with many instances
as below:

test.elementkjournals
cw7/9808/t
1363t
test.elementkjournals
cw7/9809/t
1362t
test.elementkjournals
cw7/9810/t
1361t
test.elementkjournals
cw7/9811/t
1360t
test.elementkjournals
cw7/9812/t
1359t
test.elementkjournals
cw7/9901/t
1358t
test.elementkjournals
cw7/9902/z
1357
test.elementkjournals
ime/s_ime/0005
test.elementkjournals
o2k/s_o2k/9905/o2k9957
24325
test.elementkjournals
o2k/s_o2k/9905/o2k9956
24315

In an attempt at at a work-around, I allowed the dig to run with no url_part_aliases
definition, since this seems to be working ok. Then in the search.conf I use:

url_part_aliases: http://test.elemenkjournals.com/ http://www.elementkjournals.com/

to replace the test URL with the URL for the live site.

The dig runs OK, and when I search without the url_part_aliases as above, a search
will return good results, but with the test URL. Adding the url_part_aliases
definition, results in a blank wrapper page as if the search did indeed find
results, but they're just not printed. This has be confudes as shit. In addition the
results are found but not printed.

I have reviewed the apache.conf, DNS entries, and been throught the htDig docs
countless times and from what I can tell this should work. This is probably some
stupid error on my part, but damn if I can find it. Any observations,
suggestions or guidance would be gfreatly appreciated.

best,

--
Wm. J. Sandman III                      Need Win95 or BETTER?
Systems Programmer                      MacOs crashed your new G3?