RE: [htdig] RE: [3.2.0b2] AND operator not working as it should?

Subject: RE: [htdig] RE: [3.2.0b2] AND operator not working as it should?
From: Arthur Prokosch (prokosch@aptima.com)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 08:19:52 PDT

(skip to (b) below for an executive summary)

From: Geoff Hutchison <ghutchis@wso.williams.edu>:

> On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Arthur Prokosch wrote:
>
> > The word in question (say, 'fluble') is _not_ in bad_words, and is not
below
> > 3 characters. It's not in _any_ list. The difference in behavior has
to do
> > with whether a word _was ever added to the words database_, as far as I
can
> > tell.
>
> So what you're saying is that there's a word in your documents that wasn't
> added to the database? That would be a rather nasty bug.

*sigh* no, I must be really not explaining this well. let me try once more:

method=boolean&words= documents that actually match htdig returns
--------------------- ------------------------------- -------------
web 12 12
fluble 0 0
                                ^^ this means "fluble" is not present in any of the documents
encountered (it's not); "fluble" rightly does not appear in db.worddump;
"web" appears on 57 lines representing 12 distinct documents.
web and fluble 0 12

and I just realized:

"web fluble" 0 0
"fluble web" 0 12

> If it actually gets a null list (rather than an ignored word), it would
> return no matches. I've verified this on both the 3.2.0b2 release and the
> current snapshots.

(a) I can't get current snapshots to compile reliably on my system. Which
date snapshots are you testing?

(b) Given the above, my compile process and my system's libraries are
suspect. Can you suggest anything to check first?

Thanks for bearing with me; I'm just trying to track this down...

arthur.