Re: [htdig] Suggetions on Speeding up Search

Subject: Re: [htdig] Suggetions on Speeding up Search
From: Chad Phillips (gphillip@aafp.org)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 14:38:06 PDT

>>In other words, the slowdown on these queries seems to be through the
webserver?

Sorry, I meant the search takes the same amount of time using command line or server. Do you have a guess on how much of a search speed up there is with 3.2B over 3.15?

thanks
chad

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Chad Phillips wrote:

> I have run it from the server and from the command line and the speed
> is about the same.

In other words, the slowdown on these queries seems to be through the
webserver? If so, I'd check to see how your memory usage varies with a web
query. I don't know *why* it would be substantially different, but perhaps
the server process is having a problem spawning htsearch.

> I did play around with the searches, and your right. When I use
> criteria that causes fewer hits the search is much faster. So it
> looks like everything is normal. Would there be any advantage in
> using 3.2, since a lot of my searches may return many hits?

There should be a general speedup in searches with 3.2, but I wouldn't
jump just yet. If we can get some more help with development, we may get
search caching in sooner rather than later!