Re: [htdig] Suggetions on Speeding up Search

Subject: Re: [htdig] Suggetions on Speeding up Search
From: Geoff Hutchison (
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 13:59:13 PDT

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Chad Phillips wrote:

> I have run it from the server and from the command line and the speed
> is about the same.

In other words, the slowdown on these queries seems to be through the
webserver? If so, I'd check to see how your memory usage varies with a web
query. I don't know *why* it would be substantially different, but perhaps
the server process is having a problem spawning htsearch.

> I did play around with the searches, and your right. When I use
> criteria that causes fewer hits the search is much faster. So it
> looks like everything is normal. Would there be any advantage in
> using 3.2, since a lot of my searches may return many hits?

There should be a general speedup in searches with 3.2, but I wouldn't
jump just yet. If we can get some more help with development, we may get
search caching in sooner rather than later!