[htdig] Suggetions on Speeding up Search

Subject: [htdig] Suggetions on Speeding up Search
From: Chad Phillips (gphillip@aafp.org)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 10:00:00 PDT

Hi,
We have been using Htdig for our sites main search engine and it works great! We wanted to set up another search engine that was specific to medical sites. I installed another version of htdig and set it to dig about 30 sites. Everything went ok, but when I run a search it is extremely slow.

The db for the second htdig, is about twice as big as the db for the first htdig. But the search takes about 5-10 longer. I set the search_algorithm to exact:1 but that didn't seem to help much much. Have I tried to use Htdig to index more than it was designed for, or do you think I have something wrong with my setup?

Here is my db size:
110503936 Jul 28 17:47 db.docdb
 30979072 Jul 31 02:52 db.docdb.work
2646016 Jul 28 17:47 db.docs.index
6487040 Jul 28 17:49 db.metaphone.db
182246629 Jul 28 17:46 db.wordlist
54374213 Jul 31 02:52 db.wordlist.work
136761344 Jul 28 17:46 db.words.db

Oh this runs on a Sun E250 with Solaris 8.

thanks
chad