Re: [htdig] Problems with htdig result pages

Subject: Re: [htdig] Problems with htdig result pages
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 09:57:25 PDT

According to David Robley:
> On 29 Jul, Geoff Hutchison wrote:
> > At 10:22 AM -0500 7/29/00, David Gibbs wrote:
> >>Maybe we could get the list owner to set the REPLY-TO in the list
> >>management software so that replies are automatically sent back to
> >>the list?
> >
> > I think I'd want to see some sort of list consensus on this.
> > Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't.
> <Rant> Why can't people use the Reply to all function (or however
> called) of their mailer?</Rant>
>
> On a more serious note, I think that you should consider the advice at
> http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html before making this
> change. My vote would be No.

I agree with Chip's article too. My vote is also no.

In fact, if I recall correctly, in earlier htdig mailing list days,
either there was a Reply-To header or the original sender's address was
somehow concealed, making it a pain to reply directly to the sender,
especially annoying when the sender asks for a direct reply.

Things would go smoother on the list if users understood the value of
the list archive, and understood how to reply to all users using their
mail client.