Re: [htdig] Problem with Accent

Subject: Re: [htdig] Problem with Accent
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 10:06:05 PDT

According to Stéphane Allaire:
> I'using htdig 3.1.5 with a Mandrake 7.02 distribution and I have the
> following problem, I can't make search with french accent (I'm french)....
> I've read the FAQ and I've found the article "Comment installer et
> configurer HtDig pour la langue française". I've made exactly all the things
> this article describe but it's alway doesn't work.... With the "locale"
> command, I see my language is "fr_FR", exactly like in my htdig.conf... And
> like the article describe, I've recompiled htdig the the "special"
> htdig.conf of the kit...
> In fact, after some research in the db.wordlist, I've found the word are cut
> just before the accent... for example, in my html documents I've the word
> "représentation"... in the db.wordlist, I've found only the word "repr" !
> Even if I found "représentation" if I just type "repr", it's not very good !

This is a classic symptom of the locale not working properly. You need
to make sure the locale you're using is actually installed and working
on your system. You have set

  locale: fr_FR

in your htdig.conf, correct? If so, you must make sure that the locale
directory for fr_FR exists. They're usually in /usr/share/locale.
If there's no fr_FR directory in there, or no LC_CTYPE file in the fr_FR
directory, then you'll need to find and install the Mandrake package
that contains this directory.

Also, did you install htdig from an RPM file, and if so, which one?
A great many users make the mistake of installing the libc5 version
of the RPM on a glibc 2.0 or 2.1 based system, and locales don't work
correctly in libc5. For Mandrake, you should either rebuild your own
RPM from the source, or pick up the RPM from their site. The Red Hat
RPM on htdig.org doesn't work right on Mandrake. I've been told that
the Mandrake-specific RPM is on this mirror site:

ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrake-devel/contrib/RPMS/htdig-3.1.5-2mdk.i586.rpm