Re: [htdig] excerpt

Subject: Re: [htdig] excerpt
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 11:29:05 PDT

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, alan wrote:

> is there a way to get $(EXCERPT) to return a description that includes
> the HTML in the document instead of killing it all?

No. You could certainly change the HTML parser, but personally, I'd rather
not see the HTML in the excerpt. What do you do if there's an unbalanced
set of tags in the excerpt? The result page would suffer as a result.

> and if i choose to use use_meta_description in the config will
> $(EXCERPT) take on the value of the <meta name="description"
> content="blah blah blah">

If that tag exists, yes.

> and if it does is there still a variable that contains the document
> description (not the meta description)?? i need to

What do you consider the document description, if not the META tag itself?