Re: [htdig] First file found: Invalid?

Subject: Re: [htdig] First file found: Invalid?
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 09:14:32 PDT

According to David Gibbs:
> >If fiddling with the backlink_factor doesn't help, some more specifics
> >about the pages might make it easier to give a better suggestion.
>
> Hmmm... well, if you go http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l/index.htm and
> search for "afp print" using the form's default values, you'll see what I mean.

Well, it definitely turns up pages that don't contain either word. Try
setting description_factor to 0 and reindexing, just to make sure we can
rule out inappropriate link description text from links to pages that
turn up.

> How is the score calculated anyway?

Well, that gets kind of complicated. I think Geoff gave a complete answer
to that a while back (don't have time to search the archives right now).
It does give high weight to link description text, though, so that may
be what's happening. If so, you should find out why the mail archive
software makes links to pages with descriptions that have nothing to do
with what the pages actually contain.

If that's not the problem, I'd be inclined to suspect database corruption,
although you're not getting any of the other classic symptoms.