Re: [htdig] "Deleted, noexcerpt"

Subject: Re: [htdig] "Deleted, noexcerpt"
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 09:07:24 PDT

According to D.J.Adams@soton.ac.uk:
> Ah! That last might explain a lot of them. Any chance of more helpful
> messages in a future version, eg: "Deleted, duplicate:" ?

htmerge has been heavily rewritten in 3.2.0 betas, so the chance is very
good that either the messages are better now, or will be in a future
release. I haven't had a chance to check or try it out. As for the 3.1.x
line, I don't really expect a future release of it.

> If "indexing turned off by meta robots or noindex tags" results in
> "Deleted, noexcerpt", what condition gives the message "Deleted, noindex:" ?

The way the code is currently structured, I don't think this is likely
to occur. htmerge checks for an excerpt before checking for a noindex
flag on the document. If a document has the noindex flag set, it's
unlikely to have an excerpt, so it'll be deleted due to the lack of
excerpt. I guess it could happen if the meta noindex tag appeared in
the document after some indexable text that htdig stored in the excerpt.

In 3.2, this whole part of htmerge is done away with, but it may come
up in htpurge. If it does, it might make sense to flip the two tests
around.