Re: [htdig] First file found: Invalid?

Subject: Re: [htdig] First file found: Invalid?
From: David Gibbs (david@midrange.com)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 03:56:57 PDT

>>When I do a search, almost always first file it returns is completely
>>irrelevant... it has nothing to do with the search terms. The 2nd file,
>>however, is appropriate for the search.
>Is the first file usually the same file? Is it a file that might be linked
>from a number of different places? You probably want to change your
>backlink_factor attribute in that case.

No, actually, it's usually different.

>Unfortunately, mailing list archives can wreck havoc on any sort of
>"importance weighting" which is the idea behind the backlink_factor.
>Almost no matter how you do it, the index pages get too much weight.

The index page is excluded from the index using the meta variables. I"ve
currently got the backlink_factor set to 0 because the searches were taking
too long.

>If fiddling with the backlink_factor doesn't help, some more specifics
>about the pages might make it easier to give a better suggestion.

Hmmm... well, if you go http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l/index.htm and
search for "afp print" using the form's default values, you'll see what I mean.

How is the score calculated anyway?

david