Re: [htdig] Re: is this a bug?

Subject: Re: [htdig] Re: is this a bug?
From: Malcolm Austen (malcolm.austen@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 01:38:31 PDT

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Gilles Detillieux wrote:

+ According to inzli:
+ > i'm using ht://Dig 3.1.0b3 on a windows platform.
+ > seems it is working okay. but if i enter a search-term i receive the following message:
+ > "Documents 1-8 of 8 matches"
+ > but it only shows two matches.
+ > With another searchterm, it reveals that there are two matches, but it doesn't show one
+ > single result.
+ > is this a bug or just a bad configuration?
+
+ Your version is ancient. The current stable release is 3.1.5, so I
+ suggest you upgrade to it. Also, the behaviour you describe seems to
+ suggest a problem with a corrupt database, so you should rebuild your
+ database from scratch.

I saw just this symptom when I took over the htdig setup here. That was
using a simlarly vintage 3.1.0beta version and the problem was that the
dig was being done with a -i flag but the old database was not being
dumped before calling htmerge which was merging the new "-i" dig into the
old database. That database was just growing with time, something wasn't
being cleared out. My solution was to switch from "-i" in favour of always
digging (merging etc) into a newly created empty directory.

regards,
        Malcolm.

 Malcolm.Austen@OUCS.ox.ac.uk http://users.ox.ac.uk/~malcolm/