Re: [htdig] First file found: Invalid?

Subject: Re: [htdig] First file found: Invalid?
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 21:37:48 PDT

At 10:21 PM -0500 7/26/00, David Gibbs wrote:
>I am indexing a large mailing list archive with a lot of keywords,
>acronyms, and technical terms (I'm not sure this makes a difference).
>
>When I do a search, almost always first file it returns is
>completely irrelevant... it has nothing to do with the search terms.
>The 2nd file, however, is appropriate for the search.

Is the first file usually the same file? Is it a file that might be
linked from a number of different places? You probably want to change
your backlink_factor attribute in that case.

<http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#backlink_factor>

Unfortunately, mailing list archives can wreck havoc on any sort of
"importance weighting" which is the idea behind the backlink_factor.
Almost no matter how you do it, the index pages get too much weight.

If fiddling with the backlink_factor doesn't help, some more
specifics about the pages might make it easier to give a better
suggestion.

Cheers,