Re: [htdig] Newlines in $(EXCERPT) result from htsearch?

Subject: Re: [htdig] Newlines in $(EXCERPT) result from htsearch?
From: Gilles Detillieux (
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 09:50:06 PDT

According to Hunter Morris:
> I'm using PHP4 to parse the results of htsearch, and everything works to
> near perfection. However, some excerpts that I've gathered thusfar have
> newlines in them which throws my PHP wrapper off.

Funny how problems seem to happen in clusters. Here's a response I posted
to the htdig3-bugs list just a couple weeks ago, in response to PR#864:

Subject: Re: meta description (PR#864)
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 15:34:06 -0500 (CDT)

According to dean earley (
> HTDig leaves newlines characters in the meta description.
> I have a PHP script which parses the output line by line, and this description
> messes up the order

Try adding

    head_string.replace('\n', ' ');

just before the "encodeSGML(head_string);" statement in Display::excerpt(), in

Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW: