[htdig] "Deleted, invalid" messages solved

Subject: [htdig] "Deleted, invalid" messages solved
From: D.J.Adams@soton.ac.uk
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 08:51:40 PDT

I've been bombarding this list with emails about htmerge 3.1.5 producing
the message "Deleted, invalid:" for pages which were apparently OK.

I still don't know why this happens, but I have found a way of avoiding
it. I was running htdig twice to produce two indexes and then htmerge
just once to merge them. If I instead run htmerge three times (one for
each index on its own, and then once more to merge them), I don't
get any "Deleted, invalid:" pages. SOLVED!

Two lessons learnt on the way:

        Htdig will run perfectly well on Irix compiled with the SGI MIPSpro compiler
        Do use http_proxy when indexing servers not in your local domain

My thanks especially to Gilles for his patience and for lots of suggested
lines of investigation.

Now I have to investigate why certain pages are flagged as
"Deleted, noexcerpt"!

--

David J Adams
<D.J.Adams@soton.ac.uk>