Re: [htdig] using htdig in two separate sections of a website

Subject: Re: [htdig] using htdig in two separate sections of a website
From: alan (alan@id-media.com)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 08:23:26 PDT

Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> At 9:28 AM -0500 7/26/00, alan wrote:
> >but suppose i specify this for start_urls:
> >http://www.....com/sections/blah/section1/
> >http://www.....com/sections/blah/blah/blah/section2/
> >
> >and there aren't any significant sub-directories, wouldn't that mean
> >that i dont need to use restrict in the form since it's already
> >restricted in the start_urls?
>
> If you do this, it will index all of /section1/ and /section2/ and
> then results will be returned from both sections unless you use the
> restrict field.
>
> My understanding is that you want a search form to search only
> /section1/ and another to search only /section2/. In that case you'll
> want to use restrict.
>
> But if, for example, /section2/ is a private section and you don't
> want it to be available in any way to the /section1/ search form, you
> need to do something beyond restrict.

no, both sections r not related and separate but both are on public
search forms... if someone tries to change the restrict well then they
will just get results from the other, both, or none of the sections which
shouldnt be a security risk since both are public...

the reason i'm trying to get the multiple start_urls to work is that i'm
trying to avoid indexing the entire site and using restricts... that
would be a serious security problem since removing the restrict would
display everything on the site while instead using two start_urls i just
point to two public sections and removing the restrict would just display
everything *inside* the two sections which isn't a security risk...

would running rundig once using two start_urls with restricts in the form
still be better than running rundig twice with two configs (each config
for each section) and using different configs in the hidden config in
each form??

> That's what I've been trying to say for this. Does that make sense?
>
> --
> -Geoff Hutchison
> Williams Students Online
> http://wso.williams.edu/