[htdig] Re: is this a bug?

Subject: [htdig] Re: is this a bug?
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 07:08:44 PDT

First of all, please send questions like this to the htdig@htdig.org mailing
list, and not to me personally. This isn't a one-man show!

According to inzli:
> i'm using ht://Dig 3.1.0b3 on a windows platform.
>
> seems it is working okay. but if i enter a search-term i receive the following message:
>
> "Documents 1-8 of 8 matches"
>
> but it only shows two matches.
>
> With another searchterm, it reveals that there are two matches, but it doesn't show one
> single result.
>
> actually, the search-term was in a *.pdf-document. i believe that pdf-docs can not be
> digged, therefore i converted it into a html-document and wwwoffled it for digging this
> document.
>
> is this a bug or just a bad configuration?

Your version is ancient. The current stable release is 3.1.5, so I
suggest you upgrade to it. Also, the behaviour you describe seems to
suggest a problem with a corrupt database, so you should rebuild your
database from scratch.

I don't understand enough about how you're using WWWoffle to substitute
an HTML document for a PDF, so I can't say whether or not you have a
configuration problem here as well.

PDF documents can be indexed, though. You'll need a current version of
htdig, as well as the pdftotext utility from the xpdf package, a Perl
interpreter, and the conv_doc.pl or doc2html.pl script. Under Windows,
you'll also need to patch htdig/ExternalParser.cc, so that it uses "wb",
rather than just "w", as the second argument to the fopen() call that
creates the temporary file. See http://www.htdig.org/FAQ.html#q4.9 for
pointers on setting up an external converter.