Re: [htdig] using htdig in two separate sections of a website

Subject: Re: [htdig] using htdig in two separate sections of a website
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 06:36:53 PDT

At 9:28 AM -0500 7/26/00, alan wrote:
>but suppose i specify this for start_urls:
>http://www.....com/sections/blah/section1/
>http://www.....com/sections/blah/blah/blah/section2/
>
>and there aren't any significant sub-directories, wouldn't that mean
>that i dont need to use restrict in the form since it's already
>restricted in the start_urls?

If you do this, it will index all of /section1/ and /section2/ and
then results will be returned from both sections unless you use the
restrict field.

My understanding is that you want a search form to search only
/section1/ and another to search only /section2/. In that case you'll
want to use restrict.

But if, for example, /section2/ is a private section and you don't
want it to be available in any way to the /section1/ search form, you
need to do something beyond restrict.

That's what I've been trying to say for this. Does that make sense?