Re: [htdig] using htdig in two separate sections of a website

Subject: Re: [htdig] using htdig in two separate sections of a website
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 13:57:41 PDT

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, alan wrote:

> can i specify two start_urls in the config... each pointing to the different
> sections of the site? this would eliminate the security risks while having
> just one database rite?

No, you misunderstand me. The risk is not on indexing, it's on searching.
You can use restrict all you want, but there's nothing preventing me
(as a user) from seeing the restrict value and changing it or removing it
entirely.

For most cases, this doesn't matter--changing the restrict value wouldn't
do anything significant.

But my point is that you can't use the restrict value as a security
measure. If, for example, you want to index your intranet and your
external webserver, you shouldn't expect the restrict field to keep people
from seeing results from the intranet.